MANAGING GROUP DECISION MAKING
The requirement for effectively managing group decision making
1. Leadership style
2. The constructive use of disagreement conflict
3. Encouraging creativity
In leadership leader have to be more effective and have to take care of many things for example. The leader should avoid the control of a particular person in group discussion. This means less encouraging the person who gives his idea or decision in loud voice to air their decision and asking for disagreeing with the opinion or view point. At the same time the leader should not allow the group to pressure people in to conforming. The leader should be alert to the danger of groupthink. Occur when people of group chose not to disagree or raise objection because they don’t want to break up a positive team spirit. And the leader should alert to the danger of satisfaction.It occur when people don’t like meetings and will do what ever they can to end them. Also should be attuned to indication that group members are losing sight of the primary objective to come up with the best possible solution to the problem this implies two things first don’t lose sight of the problem 2nd make a decision
When organization to find out the solution of the problem and make an accurate decision to tackle the problem. The conflicts between people generating ideas should be minimize and resolve but to some extent if the conflicts are fully resolved it will result in groupthink, uncreative solutions , time consuming and waste of knowledge therefore it is beneficial for the organization to avoid consistent agreement among group members.
Certain amount of constructive conflict is necessary because it will help the people to talk on the issue and give feasible solutions if conflicts are totally removed result in total agreement of all the members on unfeasible solutions.
Some companies like Sun Microsystems, Compaq and united parcel service take steps to ensure that conflict and debate are generated within their management teams.
There should be some procedure through which organization can increase the constructive conflict.
• Cognitive conflict. The cognitive conflict is the type of constructive conflict it takes place when the people have different perspectives or judgment on a particular issue which organization wants to resolve by the help of discussions or meetings. On the other hand affective conflict is based on emotional disagreement directed towards other people it will negatively effect the organization and may result in the rejection of good decisions and accept bad decisions.
Conflicts create in the organization by structured processes.
• Devils advocate. People in the organization assign the job to criticize the people ideas it will help us to provide best solutions and fully explored the different viewpoints.
• Dielectric. A structured debate comparing two conflicts courses of action.
Example . Suppose the firm wants where to invest to generate more profits so the group leader will categories the groups.
• People who want to invest in marketing are the parts of marketing groups.
• People in favor of adding new features in the current product are the part of another group.
• People in favor of making new product are the part of production group.
So the people feel comfortable and remain aggressive to find the best solution every person will discuss the advantages and the other group members will opposes their ideas by giving suitable reasoning why should the given solution is acceptable.
• Creation – bringing a new thing into being
• Synthesis – joining two previously unrelated things
• Modification – improving something or giving it new application
To become creative one must:
• Recognize creative potential in little opportunities
• Obtain sufficient resources
• escape from work once in awhile and read widely
Group generates ideas about a problem
Criticism is withheld until all ideas have been proposed