1. Executive Summary
2. Market Overview
3. SWOT and issue analysis
Part two (to be completed in conjunction with marketing)
4. Marketing Objectives
5. Controls and Evaluation
6. Budget Determination
7. Action Plans
1.0 Executive Summary
1.1 What are the reasons or general aims of developing this strategy
1.2 What is the conclusion of this plan (to be completed after development)
2.0 Market Overview
2.1 Customer information
• Who are you targeting? Describe the person(s) you want to reach and their role in the decision process. (What useful demographic information is available to assist in locating and reaching this person?)
• Where do they live/work/operate?
• Define any distinct market/sector groups?
• What is this market/sector looking for?
• What are their basic needs?
• What stimulates their decision? (Cost? Quality? Environment? staff?)
• Who are their reference groups? (What other influences are there?)
2.2 Market information
• What is the market/sector size? (nature and extent of demand)
• Who are your identified competitors (alternative providers)? How are they better/worse/different?
• What is our market share and the share for each participant? Is market share relevant? (Please include rationale)
• What are past and predicted trends in market?
2.3 Industry information
(Describe any factors relating to the course area/ industry)
• Is the relevant Industry/Profession/vocation/interest group growing?
• Are there any rules, regulations, acts or restrictions that affect the industry?
• Are there any conflicts in needs or wants between significant industry and other stakeholder groups?
2.4 Product information
• Describe the course(s) and the major selling points and/or issues
• In one sentence, what is the single most important thing about your course(s)
• How do people think/feel about the product now?
• How do we want them to think/act/feel?
• How is it currently promoted?
3.0 SWOT and issue analysis
• What are the product strengths?
• What are the product’s weaknesses?
• What opportunities do you see for the product?
• What threatens your product?
What are the key issues arising from SWOT that must be addressed in this plan? What strategic questions and information need areas remain unresolved?
(This section will be developed in conjunction with marketing)
4.0 Marketing Objectives and Strategy
This is a series of objectives decided upon to meet agreed marketing objectives and goals reflected in the aim of the strategy outlined in the executive summary, based on the information provided. Ideally you should be able to identify one primary objective and two secondary (all measurable).
5.0 Controls and Evaluation
5.1 How will success in meeting marketing (or sector) objectives outlined in this plan be monitored?
This is an agreed series of goals that are considered achievable and measurable indicators of the overall marketing effort.
5.2 How will the contribution made by promotional and communications effort in the achievement of marketing objectives be measured or ascertained?
This is an agreed series of goals that are considered achievable and measurable indicators of the contribution and effectiveness of promotional and communications effort in the achievement of specified marketing and sector objectives in this plan.
6.0 Budget determination
What is the size and source of budget allocation for this plan and how was this determined?
7.0 Action Plans
This is a series of promotional and communications programs to meet the objectives. These are broken down into a series of tasks which are allocated to individuals and given completion dates. They also include costs and indicators of achievement.